Saturday 3 January 2015

What qualifies you to be a malayali(mallu)

Throughout my life I have been asked these questions by people countless times. "Are you mallu?"," your a south Indian?","But you don't look like a mallu!","You speak Hindi, don't lie to me your not a mallu" and the  final testing parameter that almost 90% of people try is "Mallu me kuch bolne dikha!( translating in Hindi to- speak something in Malayalam).

Even after burying the hatchet by telling them some bogus this in Malayalam still they don't believe me. Then they tell me " but u look like a Punjabi /Haryanvi/Delhite though".
This has many times stoked the fire in my heart and brain to ask them "what exactly qualifies a girl/guy to have the prestigious badge of mallu slapped across their existence".
 I don't know what to call such people,ignorant,foolish?
 Maybe they are, maybe the are not.

But the last this that blows my mind is when people ask " what do you eat?","Do you eat only idli sambhar?","Do you eat only bada and rice?","do you eat with your hands dipped in tubfull of sambhar rice?"

OK too much ranting here. What exactly qualifies a person to be a mallu?
Is it the oil dripping hair?
 Is it the toddy(liquor obtained from coconut tree tops)?
Is it the lungi half folded machi?
 Or Is it the accent( yeah it may be m-a-x-i-m-u-m for you, but for most mallus its yem-ye-yex-why-yem-you-yem)?

Let me know in the comments below what qualifies you to be a mallu.

It's your mallu guy signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment